When trauma affects 70% of all students in your classroom and that trauma, isn’t it time to start teaching as though trauma mattered?
Hidden trauma causes depression, lack of motivation, ADHD symptoms, behavior outbursts, academic overwhelm, and a sense of helplessness.
Hidden trauma changes students’ brains and physical reactions and we have to adapt curriculum, teaching methods, and school policies to work with those changes instead of against them. I can teach your school how to detect Hidden Student Trauma, address it effectively, and adapt curriculum and school practices to account for trauma-induced changes in students’ brains and physiology. So schools can be Trauma-Embracing school rather than merely Trauma-Informed.
- Staff Meeting Trainings
- Professional Development Series
Coming Back From COVID: A Trauma-Embracing Art and Writing Activity for the Classroom
Students are coming back to school after a major traumatic event. Some families lost jobs and some families lost family members. Some stress in homes made homes unsafe for students. Some students suffered major depression. What do we as educators do to start helping students to heal?
Coming Back from COVID is a Trauma-Embracing, classroom art and writing activity that allows students to safely share their quarantine year–traumas, highlights, and everything in-between–with their teachers. This start–of-year activity creates an opportunity for teacher-student bonding, for traumas to be addressed immediately, and for everyone in a classroom to feel seen and heard.
In this workshop, teachers will experience this activity for themselves, including how art can make heavy topics feel lighter and even fun. Teachers will learn how to introduce the activity so that students feel comfortable sharing anything hard. Teachers are also given a script for what to say when students reveal trauma and how to follow-up with students after a counseling referral–without taking much time from their days or feeling like they are being asked to be counselors themselves.
Full- Day Workshop or Workshop Series:
Uncovering and Addressing Hidden Student Trauma:
A Full-Day Workshop or a 6 hour, 3 Staff meeting workshop
- Be provided with a years’ worth of Trauma-Embracing curriculum materials.
- Practice with trauma-embracing lesson plans that build true connections between students, teachers, and peers.
- Use prompts and strategies that allow teachers to foster student identity and self-expression. (This leads to students having a greater sense of authenticity, resiliency, and self-determination.)
- Identify elements of activities that bring classroom communities together. Then examine why commonly used strategies meant to create community fail.
- Describe how trauma impacts learning, how triggers impact teachers, and how to respond appropriately to students exhibiting triggered behavior.
- Develop classrooms of CONNECTION rather than merely rapport.
- Increase academic achievement for your lowest-achieving students.
- Listen compassionately to students without feeling like you have to be a counselor.
- Use guidelines for when to talk through, refer out, or simply acknowledge students’ emotional distress. This includes how and when to talk with parents in a way that places parents in the role of vital partners and allies.
- Identify which populations of students at your school would benefit the most from a particular strategy and how to foster classrooms that are safe for sharing.
Whole-School Transformation Packages
70% + of any school population (students and staff) have experienced trauma…and your staff meetings, classrooms, and school policies are an interconnected network that need, at every level, a Trauma-Embracing approach. Trauma is not only why students fail, it is why staff members stall out and why administrators fail to connect and motivate with their staff.
My mission is to make everyone in a school feel seen, heard, and equipped with the tools to motivate and achieve. The problem isn’t what it looks like on the outside. The problem is hidden. I can help.
Trauma-Embracing Whole School Package
- Staff meeting transformations
- Staff and admin connectedness transformations
- Staff buy-in transformations
- One-on-one sessions with unicorn principals to bring back the joy
Staff and Student Transformations
- Practical Trauma-Embracing practices that work for Academic achievement
- Whole-school behavior transformations
- Trauma-Embracing Curriculum trainings
- One-on-one sessions with staff to bring back the joy and connectedness in the classroom
“Now more than ever, schools need to promote student mental health and well-being, which impacts both readiness to learn and the ability to benefit from learning opportunities. It is essential that schools focus on helping children develop the skills to cope, recover from adversity, and be prepared for challenges. Jessie Dorin has been a key element to our district work in creating environments that support the social and emotional needs of our students by recognizing the power of school connectedness. Jessie’s training provided our staff with a message of hope and specific strategies to foster safe, supportive and inclusive learning environments.”
Kathy Weight, Superintendent
Steilacoom Historical School District
Book a free consultation today.